Skip to main content

N2C - Initial thoughts

For the directors challenge at N2C, I have I have been cast in the play Purple by Jon Fosse. This is a play about a teenage boy band, it explores the relationships the members have with each other and a girl. Upon the first read of the script, it's a very interesting play, there is a lot that is not said. It's mainly about the emotions of the characters and the relationships between them, there is a lot of tension and emotion. It's quite short, I think I'll last under half an hour and it's all in real time as it's all very realistic, in a naturalistic Stanislavsky style. 

I'm going to be playing the character of The Girl, I think I'll be able to connect with her character as she is a teenage girl and I'm a teenage girl and being a naturalistic performance I think that will work well, but for the same reasons this might be difficult because I don't want her character to be just like me and without the need to put on an accent or wear a completely different costume or something definitive like that to change my character, this could prove to be difficult. It could be hard also due to the fact that it's so naturalistic, there is no stereotype so even though she is labelled as a 'slut' in the play that doesn't necessarily affect her characteristics in any way. You still see a variety of different sides to her character throughout the play. Also because there is very little actually said in the play, conveying all the small hidden meanings (that i don't know either) will be a challenge too. However, I think it's an interesting character and script and I think it'll be fun to work with over the weeks at N2C.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Antigone and Ismene staging and script analysis lesson 1

 On Wednesday's lesson, as well as going over the scene with Nurse, we began to stage the scene with Ismene that follows it. We played around with a few different ideas for the initial position of Antigone and Ismene, one to show both their closeness and their differences, as they are quite opposing from one another. Ismene is a beautiful, well dressed and ladylike woman compared to the younger Antigone who sits in the dirt and cares much less about what's 'lady-like'. So we had Ismene sat on the nurses chair at an angle and Antigone sat below her with her head on Ismene's knee. Almost immediately in the conversation Antigone brings up how pretty Ismene is and it is clear they have had many similar conversations in the past as Ismene goes to stand up whilst saying 'don't make fun', but Antigone places her hand on her leg to stop her and reassures her that it's a 'comfort to me this morning' - which could perhaps be reffering to the fact that ...

Tumbril sequence

no noise with noise

Antigone and Creon in depth script analysis